Monday, July 4, 2011

Chicago to Pennsylvania

Rebecca rejoined the trip in Chicago where we had planned to visit my Uncle who lives there 6 months out of the year. But as our luck had it, he booked a flight back to Chico, CA to spend time with my Aunt right when we made the decision to arrive in Chicago in early June. He was still nice enough to let us stay at his place just outside the city and we got to spend a few hours with him when he flew back to IL.

DSCN1471
We took the train downtown to explore the city. The famous Buckingham Fountain, one of the world's largest fountains.

DSCN1481
From there it was a mile and half walk over to the Navy Pier.

DSCN1477
The Pier had a wonderful stain glass museum that was free to the public.

DSCN1479

DSCN1480

DSCN1488
After a short bus ride we arrived at the free Lincoln Park Zoo. They had an amazing Primate Center. This silverback didn't seem to enjoy being watched.

DSCN1498
This youngster was exploring his world.

DSCN1506
From Illinois we drove to upstate NY (near the Adirondack Mountains) to stay with some family on my mom's side. My father and his parents are buried in that area so we stopped for a visit. My father spent much of his free time umpiring baseball, hence the baseball themed headstone. My grandparents are buried to the right of him along with my grandmother's parents. It is kind of nice to be able to see most of my family in one area. Too bad they are buried so far away from where I live.

DSCN1511
Two hours from the cemetery live my other grandparents. They have a big backyard where Pirate spent most of her time chasing squirrels and birds.

DSCN1509

DSCN1517
My Great Aunt and Uncle live a few miles away on Lake Cossayuna. My mom's side of the family has been coming to this lake since the 1920's. I grew up fishing on this lake with my grandfather.

DSCN1512
My mom's cousin Todd was celebrating his 50th birthday.

DSCN1514

DSCN1525
The next day we came back to the lake and took out my grandfather's row boat.

DSCN1520
While Rebecca has lots of experience paddling canoes and kayaks, this was her first time rowing a boat. It was a gorgeous day.

DSCN1533
After a quick visit with my Aunt and Uncle in Connecticut, we drove down to PA to stay with my mom in the house that my parents bought when I was seven. We cooked some veggies and seitan on the grill while it rained.

DSCN1578
The sun came out later that week so we went golfing with my mom and her boyfriend.

DSCN1580
Long putt for birdie which I did not make.

DSCN1579
This was Rebecca's first time golfing and she did really well. This shot landed right on the green.

DSCN1570
A couple miles from my childhood home is the area where then General Washington crossed the Delaware River and invaded Trenton, NJ. That victory that was a major turning point in the Revolutionary War. It has been over 230 years and Trenton has still not recovered.

DSCN1573
Old homes and buildings have been preserved.

DSCN1574
This is Bowman's Tower which was built in 1929. Great views of the area from the top.

DSCN1569
My mom lives 30 miles northeast of Philadelphia so we took a quick trip down to visit Andrew and Samantha. Samantha and I went to highschool together and then Samantha, Andrew and I lived together in San Diego with some other friends from highschool after we finished college. Their three-story row home is amazing. They have put a lot of work into that place and it shows.

DSCN1540
The dinning room is one of my favorite rooms in the house.

DSCN1552
They also have tons of rescued and adopted animals. The last time I visited Uno she didn't really like me but this time we got along splendidly.

DSCN1553
Guacamole likes to sunbathe and then take hot showers in the bathtub upstairs.

DSCN1557
Even when I lived with Sam and Drew 10 years ago they had pet rats. I can't remember their names but they were cute and friendly.

DSCN1585
A few days later they invited over some friends for a Sunday BBQ.

DSCN1589
Samantha and Rita kept things classy on the soon-to-be completed Tri-Deckta roof deck.

2 comments:

KEVIN MARKS said...

i think you are mistaken on the name of the fountain... isn't it the MARRIED WITH CHILDREN fountain?

i have good memories of sleeping in that ORANGE room at sam and andrew's.

HISTORY!

kerry ann said...

I also have good memories of sleeping in the orange room at Sam and Drew's. While it was only for a few hours because Andrew showed us around town until 4AM :) Good times! It's great to see everyone. Looks like such a fun trip Adam!
kerry