Friday, July 22, 2011

Baltimore to WV

The last leg of our trip included a stop in Baltimore and then a quick weekend of climbing in West Virginia.

DSCN1592
We arrived a few days before the 4th of July. Josh, one of Rebecca's many cousins, took us out to a field behind his house for a game of baseball.

DSCN1590
Prior to playing softball in Portland, it has been a couple of years since I swung a bat. The weather was hot but we had a lot of fun.

DSCN1598
The next day we went climbing with Josh and his sister Jenny.

DSCN1618
This was Josh's first time climbing and he killed it!

DSCN1626
Our dear friend Michael Holmes was back in the country for a few days so I drove back up to Philly to see him.

DSCN1630
We each bought a new Phillies hat.

DSCN1638
Ian and Diana, my brother and sister-in-law, organized a big group climbing trip to the New River Gorge. I've posted numerous photos of my past climbing trips here so I'll only add a few new ones.

DSCN1647

DSCN1652
Here I am letting others have a taste of "Van Life."

Now that our trip has come to a close, I've prepared a brief summary of events.


Miles traveled: 13, 666
Flat tires: 0
States visited: 31
Number of nights I slept in the van: 33
Number of skate parks skated: 10 (most in one state: CO with 3)
National Parks visited: 4
Books read on the trip: 8 (Favorite book Affliction by Russel banks)
Bowling alleys visited: 14 (High score=279, Low score=158)
Vegan doughnuts consumed: Too many to count (Yes, I am ashamed)
Art Journals filled: Just 1
Hot springs soaked in: 4
Favorite new city: Tie between Chico, CA and Leadville, CO
Item I wished I packed: Bike
Item I didn't use enough: My hammock
Favorite restaurant: Is Voodoo Doughnuts a restaurant?
Longest stretch without a shower: 5 days
Time on the road: 5 months

5 comments:

KEVIN MARKS said...

Not enough baseball, too much climbing

Really disappointed the hot springs tally wasn't higher

Have to say i like holmes' hat best.

Glad you did the tally

Ariel said...

Welcome home! Thanks for sharing your adventures AND for making Tampa a stop on them!

kerry ann said...

Awesome trip AVS! Loved the photos and good hippie fun. What kinda van you gots? A Euro?

KEVIN MARKS said...

so i feel like you need to keep writing... you may feel like you need to have some fun adventure to write about... but no...

how about you write about how out of place you feel at work...?

i wanna hear about it....
i'm sure you're other pals do too....

kerry ann said...

I do too!