Monday, May 30, 2011

Sierra Nevada Mountains & Chico

After getting rained out in Sequoia NP I set my sights on an area of the Sierra Nevada National Forest south of Yosemite. On my way to Shaver and Huntington Lakes I stopped by the Ranger Station for a map and some backing advice. The advice I got was to go somewhere else unless I wanted to snowshoe. The place was still under a foot of snow and expecting more that week. So instead I set my course for the San Joaquin River Gorge per the ranger's recommendation.

DSCN1259
At 14,000 feet the gorge was free from all the snow and foul weather the other area was having. And since it is on BLM land, there were no entrance or camping fees!

DSCN1246
A few rain drops here and there and the temps were in the 50's but no snow!

DSCN1249

DSCN1251
One of my dinners- tempeh, grilled veggies and couscous.

DSCN1252
Foot bridge over the gorge.

DSCN1258

DSCN1281
After three days in the gorge I spent a few nights in Chico with my aunt and her new puppy, Nikki.

DSCN1277
Pirate actually played with another dog! Usually she wants nothing to do with playful dogs.

DSCN1273

DSCN1285
Fresh goodies from my aunt's back yard.

DSCN1286
Chico has this really cool "natural community pool" that is filled by a river during the summer months.

DSCN1295
My aunt and I went to an outdoor market in downtown Chico.

DSCN1293
Fun hippie bike art.

1 comment:

KEVIN MARKS said...

you made chico look fun. i can't say i had so nice a time there in 1999.

cherries, blueberries, and strawberries... i'll call that a trifecta!!